State New Zealand Pool Championships resultsPosted by SLSNZ Admin on Thursday, 11 October 2012
Some key results from the State New Zealand Pool Championships held 5-7 October at Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre. Congratulations to all the medal winners and to everyone involved.
- The Lyall Bay Surf Life Saving Club has regained the top club trophy at the 2012 State NZ Pool Championships
- Lyall Bay has now own the top club trophy (Paul Kent Memorial Trophy) 7 times out of the 11 times it has been held
- Won it from 2006 - 2010
- 2nd in 2011
- 1st in 2012. Won with 797 points- 285 more than the 2nd placed New Plymouth Old Boys Club.
- Paul Kent Memorial Trophy is in memory of the late Paul Kent whose family were very involved in the Worser Bay club.
- The State New Zealand Pool Championships is the national champs for pool rescue events. These events include manikin carries, obstacles and line throw and much more. This event is the largest single swimming rescue event in New Zealand and attracted 493 athletes of all ages
- Lyall Bay club had 66 athletes competing at the championships
Lyall Bay Results
- 18 Gold medals
- 18 Silver medals
- 17 Bronze medals
Outstanding Individual results
- Sisters Alaynah(11 years) and Zaniah (12 years) Bettany from Miramar won 3 gold medals each and contributed to their relay teams earning medals
- Both won their Rescue Tube events in championship record times with their partners Ella Kingi and Florence Cox
- Billy Simpson, Lewis Clareburt, David Long and Rory Tarpley won 11 individual medals in the 11 - 13 age groups.
NZ Team Members
- Lyall Bay members, Sam Lee and Tash Hind are in the NZ team that will compete in the World Surf Life Saving Championships in Adelaide in mid-November
- Both had strong performances over the weekend with Sam winning 4 inidividual titles in the Open Women.